You know you need to find a new home. However, it’s cold outside, snow is falling and you’re wondering: Should I buy a home this winter? If you’re struggling for the answer, let us help you out: Yes, you absolutely should!
Wintertime provides a unique set of circumstances that make it an ideal time to buy. Sure, it can be hectic with the holidays, and the weather can be challenging, but the good far outweighs the bad here.
While plenty of people will wait for the ice to melt and the flowers to bloom in spring before they start their house hunt, you will be ahead of the game by looking now. As you read through our list of 5 reasons to buy a home this winter, you may be surprised to find that winter is the best time for you to purchase a new home.
- Fewer Buyers = Better Deal: Many believe that spring and summer are the best times to buy. This means fewer buyers in the winter, which leaves you with fewer people to compete with as you search for your new home.
Homes are often priced considerably lower in the winter than in the warmer months, as sellers know that there are fewer people looking at this time. The law of supply and demand is at work here – less demand means a better price for you.
- Less Negotiation: With fewer buyers, sellers want to move their homes quickly and are far more excited when a potential buyer comes along. This works in your favor in a number of ways. The negotiation process can be long and arduous, but when the seller is eager to move, they can be far more accommodating.
You may not only get a better price overall, but you may be able to negotiate for repairs and other benefits that you would have a more difficult time receiving during the competitive spring and summer months.
- Mortgage Rates May Rise: The lower the mortgage rate, the better. If you buy this winter, you stand to save yourself a lot of money as mortgage rates have not yet increased and are very low right now. While mortgage rates don’t necessarily rise every year, studies show that they will be increasing in 2019, so now is the perfect time to buy.
- You’ll See How the Home Does in Harsh Weather: Winter is tough on homes. When you inspect a house during the colder, snowier months you’ll really get to see how a home stands up to fierce weather conditions. For example, you’ll get a clear picture of the effectiveness of the insulation. If the house is at all drafty, you’ll know.
Leaks, broken seals, defective pipes and other costly issues that may have been hidden in warm weather will be far more apparent in the winter. You can feel even more confident in your purchase if the house holds up even in the most brutal of winters.
- Your Agent (and Lender) Will Work Harder for You: Realtors want to work with serious, impassioned buyers in the winter. While we at BestMichiganHouses.com are always hard at work for all our clients, winter provides a special opportunity for even more quality, focused attention as there are fewer buyers looking at this time.
Lenders are also less busy in the winter, which means paperwork stands to be processed faster. The increased processing speed means that you will have money in your hands sooner than you may have had in spring and summer.
The Bottom Line
Buying a home in the winter is a fantastic idea. Our outstanding team of passionate Realtors will take care of you from the beginning of the buying process until the deal is done and you are completely satisfied with your purchase.
BestMichiganHouses.com is brought to you as a courtesy by Bittinger Team, REALTORS. Top among Southeast Michigan Realtors, we are determined to provide you with a joyful, exciting buying experience. If you’re ready to find your dream home, contact us to start the process today. Happy holidays!