Selling your home is no easy task. With the confusing terminology, deadlines, and showings – the process can be difficult and challenging to navigate. Combine this with the often-emotional element of parting ways with your home, and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, miss crucial details, and make mistakes that could create issues for you down the road.
By being aware of possible home selling mistakes to avoid, you’re more likely to succeed as you work to sell your home. Here are some common home selling mistakes, and tips on how you can avoid them.
- Your pricing is off – Don’t overprice your home. It pushes away some buyers from even looking at it, and it encourages others to try to submit a low-ball offer, which can be frustrating for you. In addition to considering the market value of your home, factor in other considerations such as demand, location and the overall condition of your home.
- Your home isn’t ready – You might feel pressure to instantly list your home when you officially decide to sell, but don’t rush it. A little preparation goes a long way. Tidy up, bring in a home inspector, make the necessary repairs and upgrades, and even stage the home for photos. These small details can make a big impact on your home’s value.
- You’re not being transparent – If you try to hide issues with your home from prospective buyers or home inspectors, it will do much more harm than good in the long run, including the possibility of a future lawsuit. A prospective buyer is making an investment by purchasing your home, so it is essential to disclose all you know.
- You’re not being mindful when prospective buyers visit – Although you might feel the urge to be present during visits, being present when someone is checking out your home can create an awkward situation for buyers. They might feel an added level of pressure, and this could cause them to not take the time they should to fully check out your home. If a buyer does visit while you’re home, it might be best to take your children or pets for a quick walk. This will help a buyer focus and truly visualize themselves and their families in your home.
- You’re trying to do it all on your own – A qualified and experienced Realtor can assist you with support, advice, and additional resources – and they can also help you avoid these common selling mistakes. Whether it’s your first or fifth time selling a home, a Realtor can provide valuable information and assistance, as well as local market knowledge and sales expertise.
Your best protection against avoiding these common home selling mistakes is a great Realtor, who can provide you with the knowledge and expertise needed to make the process easy and get you the best deal.
Bestmichiganhouses.com is a free browsing tool provided by Bittinger Team, REALTORS. Located in Canton, MI, you can depend on our team of experienced and reliable Realtors to help you avoid mistakes and get through the process of selling your home. Contact us today!