After all, the more questions you ask, the more knowledge you will have about the state of the market. And that will help you make savvier decisions as a buyer.
Let’s talk about some of the best questions you can ask as you prepare yourself to navigate the real estate market.
Questions to Ask About Offering Price
- How much did the seller pay? This helps you see if values have gone up or down since the seller purchased it.
- How much does the seller owe? If the value is more than asking price, then you’re navigating a short sale or the seller will be bringing cash to closing.
- How much have similar homes sold for in the community? This gives you the best indication of its value, especially given that your bank’s appraiser is going to rely on these comparable sales to compute value.
- How many offers has the seller received? Some homes get multiple offers. If that’s the case here, you should know that it might take a lot to ensure that your offer is ultimately chosen.
Questions to Ask About the Condition of the Home
- How old is the roof? This is important because a roof can be quite pricey to replace. The good news is that a new roof often lasts 15 to 50 years.
- What type of foundation does the home have? A raised foundation allows access to underneath the home, which is useful for plumbing and electrical needs. This is the same for basements. Slab foundations are also out there. Of course, here in Michigan the most common is the basement, but some older homes may have something different.
- Does the home have insulation in the walls, attic and garage? This is particularly important for us here in the colder, northern climate.
Questions to Ask About the Location of the Home
- What types of properties are located nearby? This helps to understand the resources you’ll have easy access to.
- What can you tell me about the schools in the area? This is particularly important for parents with small children.
- Are there any nuisance factors in the area I should be aware of? This might include proximity to an airport or to a busy highway.
Let Us Help With All of Your Plymouth Home Buying Needs
We hope you found today’s blog useful on home buying in the Plymouth, MI area.
For more valuable insight, please remember to connect with us at 734.459.2600 or team@Bittinger.com. We’re here for you every step of the way!
Until next time,
Bittinger Team, Realtors
LIKE us on Facebook at Living In Plymouth/Canton/Northville Michigan to stay abreast of the local real estate market and to celebrate these communities with us!
LIKE us on Facebook at Michigan Homes Coming Soon to learn about the hottest new listings … sometimes before they are even on the market!